The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
A
llan K. Chalmers

Monday, April 19, 2010

Be thou an Example

I was asked by Terri Ann a real music enthusiast, gifted pianist and a real go getter to sing in Relief society. She wanted to bring more music into Relief society and was glad when she approached me. I used to sing all the time. I had close friends growing up in the church and we loved to sing together! We sang everything together. I have a real heart string for music...this is the easiest way for me to feel the spirit... through music. (thanks to my Nana)
I feel I have lost my way in this area. My friends now gone from my side and new wards with no familiar faces I stopped singing. My voice is not the same....not as good. However I do love to sing and am happy when I can do it. I feel like my old self again when I do it and I feel like Nana is singing loudly beside me. So I went looking for something to sing. I avoid tear jerkers that are still vivid in my mind of Nana singing - Be still my soul or something plus I wanted something different.
I found it. Last Years youth theme Be thou an example of the believers. It is beautiful and has a wonderful message. My sister in Law Heather has the most beautiful voice and I seem to be better when I have someone harmonizing with me and this song has a beautiful arrangement and so I have asked her to sing with me. We have not practiced yet but while I was looking for just the music online I found some amazing inspirational videos for messages to the youth that have filled my heart. How wonderful to see the youth displaying heart felt examples of the saviour. It gives me hope to know that the world still has a lot of good in it! I am inspired to be an example of the believers in word, conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith in purity.
I am excited to feel the spirit in me again as I sing and share the words and message. I am excited for family by my side and for memories of the songs and voices that guide my heart still even though they are gone!

1 comment:

  1. Kim - you have a beautiful voice - very clear and pure. I didn't know you used to sing so much, but I'm not surprised. Your feelings about music and the spirit very much mirror my own. I'm so glad you found this song and that you were willing to sing again. I know how hard it can be to jump back into something that seems so long ago. Here's to many more songs!

    ReplyDelete